There are many self-guided, self-help opportunities for individuals struggling with various aspects of mental health (their own or a family member’s). Some include: National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI); Mental Health America (MHA); Focus on the Family; The Science of Happiness Course; and ‘Mad in America’, to name just a few.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization. It is dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. NAMI is probably best known for providing free support groups (and many other resources) for family members of people with mental illness. Most people rate these groups as very helpful. Follow this link to learn more: https://www.nami.org/Home.
- Mental Health America (MHA) is the oldest community-based nonprofit aimed at improving the lives of those with mental illness. MHA offers many, many resources including free online screening tests for a variety mental health problems like depression, anxiety, and other concerns and then links to all kinds of resources for mental health, many of them free. Follow this link to learn more: https://mhanational.org.
- Focus on the Family Website was started by psychologist, James Dobson, more than forty years ago to provide practical, online support for Christian families. Its mission is to use the Gospel to build nurturing and affirming families who are engaged with their faith. Follow this link to learn more: https://www.focusonthefamily.com.
- The Science of Happiness Course is a free, fun, and online college lecture type course that lasts eight-weeks and reviews all the studies of happiness so far, offering many practical tips on how to live a more authentically happy and meaningful life. The overall framework is based on Positive Psychology and although this approach to psychology is not religious, most of the principles are in keeping with the teachings of the Church. Follow this link to learn more: https://www.edx.org/course/the-science-of-happiness-3.
- The ‘Mad in America’ Website has a mission to serve as a catalyst for rethinking psychiatric care in the United States (and abroad). They believe that the current drug-based paradigm of care has failed our society, and that scientific research, as well as the lived experience of those who have been diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder, calls for profound change. Follow this link to learn more: https://www.madinamerica.com.